Training Ground Muay Thai is Mississauga’s premier martial arts academy dedicated to the study and training in the authentic ways of Muay Thai for Adults and Kids. We believe in an integrated approach to training and offer a variety of complimentary training methods and fitness programs that build on our Muay Thai foundation.
Today, Muay Thai is extremely popular on a global scale for competitive fighting in sanctioned events worldwide, a mandatory discipline in MMA training and is often used as a fitness tool for those with no aspirations of competition, but seeking higher levels of fitness health. Regardless to your reasons for seeking Muay Thai, it is equally as important to understand what Muay Thai truly “is”.
Muay Thai or Thai Boxing is the national sport and cultural martial art of Thailand. It was developed several hundreds of years ago as a form of close-combat that utilizes the entire body as a weapon. Affectionately referred to as “The Art of Eight Limbs” and using eight points of contact, (Fists, Elbows, Knees and Shins), the body mimics the weapons of war. Through training, techniques become precise and specific:
- The hands become the sword and dagger
- The shins and forearms were hardened in training to act as armor against blows
- The elbow is destined to pound opponents like a heavy mace or hammer
- Your legs and knees simulate the axe and staff and the body operates as one unit.
- The knees and elbows constantly searching and testing for an opening while grappling and trying to spin an enemy to the ground for the kill
The goal of each strike and movement is to deliver an excruciating, debilitating blow which would enable the fighter to quickly overcome his rivals without leaving himself exposed to an attack. Thus, proper technique and power strikes are a vital element in training. This effective hand-to-hand form of combat evolved in a rather Darwin-like manner. It demanded the survival of the fittest: those who fought and prevailed lived and taught others before eventually falling themselves.